Fight the Frizz: Pro Tips to Taming Your Tresses
We know ... it’s been a frizzy summer. And fighting the two causes of frizz — humidity and friction — isn’t easy. Despite the range of products we pile on, our locks always seem to get loose.
We caught up with Living Proof Hair Stylist Tim Rogers to learn the simple steps to taming our mane so the rest of our summer run a little more smoothly. From the bristles to the blow out, he knows that every step and strand matters.
1. Choose the best brush. Use a boar bristle brush instead of something synthetic – it smoothes the hair cuticle more effectively.
2. Blow dry better. Start with damp, towel-dried hair and always blow dry at a high heat using a nozzle to add smoothness and shine.
3. Try a new product. If your old frizz fighter isn’t working, give the new technology a chance. According to Tim, Silicones (which are found in a large number of anti-frizz products) don’t coat each hair strand evenly so moisture can still get in – meaning your frizz-free look won’t last long. He suggests Living Proof frizz products, as the OFPMA molecule more evenly and weightlessly guards against unwanted moisture.
4. Skip the elastics. Hitting the tennis courts or hiking trails? Braid your hair or twist it into a chignon, but secure it with bobby pins instead of an elastic band, which will crease your hair. You’ll keep your hair contained, and when you take it down you’ll get a pretty wave.
5. Protect yourself from the sun. This is true for your skin and your strands. Before you head outdoors, try a lightweight hair product with UV protection (Tim loves the Living Proof Restore Revitalizing Spray) or slather on a leave-in conditioner if you’re planning on swimming.
6. Say no to clarifying shampoos. You may think you need to lather up with one of these if you’re spending a lot of time in the pool – but don’t! Clarifying your hair during these hot, humid months will only leave you more prone to frizz and breakage.